Acs Coursework Syllabus Templates

Preparatory Chemistry Courses

Section 5.7

Students may need chemistry courses to prepare them for college-level programs of study. Such courses emphasize concepts, critical thinking, and chemical calculations required to be successful in chemistry. They also include a laboratory component equivalent to that in a high school chemistry course.

General Chemistry

Section 5.8

Traditionally, general chemistry is a first-year college course sequence designed for science majors and students who aspire to become professional chemists. Completion of general chemistry course work ensures a common background in basic chemical concepts such as stoichiometry, states of matter, atomic structure, molecular structure and bonding, thermochemistry, equilibria, and kinetics. Course work must include a laboratory component.

Common outcomes of general chemistry should include knowledge of basic chemical concepts, strength in quantitative problem solving, preparation for higher-level course work, maturation of students’ knowledge of chemistry, and application of mathematical skills. Students also need to be competent in basic laboratory skills, including laboratory safety, keeping a notebook, use of electronic balances and volumetric glassware, preparation of solutions, chemical measurements using pH electrodes and spectrophotometers, data analysis, and report writing. The diversity of institutions and students requires a wide variety of approaches to optimize the progress of students.

The prerequisites for general chemistry are typically the equivalent of one year of high school chemistry with a laboratory component and three years of high school mathematics, including two years of algebra. For students whose preparation is deficient, successful completion of a developmental or preparatory chemistry course, or its equivalent, as well as the necessary mathematics courses, should be required.

  • How do I find the Dean's office for the School of Workforce Development?  We are located in room 212-B of the Wisner-Bottrall Applied Technology Center. Our office is off of the atrium, just across from the elevators.

  • How many minutes must my class meeting during the semester?  The State Activities Classification Structure (ACS) guidelines state, “A semester credit hour will not be less than 800 instructional minutes.” Please do the necessary computation to ensure that this requirement is met by all GRCC classes you teach.

  • When are my grades due?  Grades are due 72 hours after the last date of the course.

  • Where are all of the approved College policies?  You can view the policies online.

  • How do I know when to fill out the online adjunct available form?  Your Associate Dean will send an email to your GRCC email account inviting you to complete the adjunct availability form.

  • I can't remember how to fill out the new online adjunct availability form, where can I get help?  The email invitation sent to your GRCC email account will have an instruction sheet and video attached.  These two items can help you to determine how to complete the availability form online.

  • How do I complete a mileage reimbursement form?  Financial Services has a new reimbursement process. To view the forms and instruction sheet visit their online site.
  • Where can I find the Dental and Vision Reimbursement forms?  Payroll and Benefits has a forms page that contains these two items.

  • How do I know when I will be paid?  Click on the "Payroll Schedule" link under the blue "Resources" box above on the right.
  • I feel I have been graded unfairly.  What do I do now?  GRCC has a Academic Grievance Procedure.  Please follow those steps to resolve any grade disputes between students and instructors.

  • When is our Holiday break?  Please review the "Academic Calendar" link under the blue "Resources" box above on the right.  Please note all breaks, exams, start dates, etc are listed for your planning convenience.

  • How do I know when my exam is for a class?  GRCC posts the exam schedule each semester.  Please note that your exam may not be on the same date/time as your regularly scheduled class.

  • I think I'm going to graduate soon, how do I know if I've completed all the necessary course and paperwork? Graduation Applications should be submitted to the Student Records Office when the student is within the last two semesters of the courses required for their academic program.

  • How do I send an official transcript to an employer?  You must request an official transcript from the Student Records Office.

  • How do I change my major?  You can change your major online.  Please note, it is important to keep your major up-to-date as this will be what code your graduate audit will be conducted with.  If you do not officially change your major, you may be required to take additional coursework as the program curriculum is updated.

  • Where can I find the online catalog?  Our entire catalog is now online.

  • One thought on “Acs Coursework Syllabus Templates

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *